Details about this Career
Our success starts with our people!
Weller Brothers provides the highest quality landscape design, maintenance and construction services to clients in Sioux Falls, SD and the surrounding communities.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
The Human Resource Generalist will run the daily functions of the Human Resource (HR) department including interviewing and hiring staff, conducting on-boarding and orientation, administering pay, benefits, and leave requests, assist with the performance management of staff, and enforcing company policies and practices.
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Recruits, interviews, and facilitates the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conducts or acquires background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Coordinates set-up and on-boarding of new employees and facilitates orientation to cover HR-related matters, including policies, benefit enrollment and completion of required paperwork.
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Implements and manages employee recognition and retention-related programs.
- Administers the company’s performance evaluation process by tracking completion of required performance discussions and completion and filing of performance evaluation documents.
- Works with supervisors and managers to document and discuss employee performance issues.
- Administers and manages the benefit program, including new hire benefit enrollment, annual benefit enrollment, mid-year employee changes or termination of benefit coverage, working with benefit brokers and providers and reviewing benefit-related invoices for payment.
- Assists with compensation by participating in pay-related meetings, documenting and implementing pay adjustments, and recording/filing relevant pay information in employee personnel files.
- Administers employee leaves of absence, including paperwork, tracking of time for FMLA purposes, determining reasonableness of requested accommodations, and acting as liaison between employees, management and leave-certifying doctors.
- Handles employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Attends and participates in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations and documents situations appropriately.
- Facilitates the employment exit process and conducts exit interviews to provide employees with details on benefit termination and COBRA, final pay, payout of accrued but unused paid time off balances, return of company property and other important information. May also ask questions to determine the employee’s thoughts on various employment-related matters (benefits, pay, career advancement potential, supervision, company culture, etc.) to gain insight on employment practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Health insurance
- Simple IRA with company match
- Paid Time off
- Personal and professional advancement opportunities
Candidate Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Business with an emphasis in Human Resource Management preferred or equivalent experience.
- SHRM-CP and/or PHR certification preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of Human Resources experience required.
- Working knowledge of employment law and HR processes, with an ability to translate this knowledge into mitigating risk for the company.
- Analytical skills needed to interpret data and implement policies and procedures to provide optimal solutions to human relations, strategic or process-related problems.
- Strong decision-making skills and the ability to follow-through and follow-up as needed.
- Ability to interact in a positive manner with all individuals, both within the company and with external contacts.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of labor laws related to recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits and performance management.
- Multi-tasking and prioritizing skills needed to manage projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Diligent and firm with high ethical standards.
We get jobs done the Weller Brothers Way.